Sunday, January 07, 2007

15: Making Decisions

Most people find decisions difficult to make. Should I apply for this job? Should I ask my boss for a much needed/deserved raise? Should I quit? Should I take a chance with a new industry/company/position? Should I play it safe? Should I consider how a move would affect my spouse and kids?

Part of the reason why decisions are difficult to make is because most people do not know what their own priorities are. That means that when a new priority or value is considered, it messes up their original idea or decision. What is more important? Security or high salary? Time with family or prestigious job? Convenient location or promotion? Opportunities for my spouse or a raise for me? Good environment for my kids or a raise for me? Potential opportunities in the future or security now?

The other reason for fear of moving forward is that people can only guess what the risks are what the consequences of their actions will be: Uncertainty - no guarantees - no crystal ball telling you that your decision is definitely the right one... No wonder people agonize over making decisions! Asking friends, doing research and mulling over the questions are all good things to do, but at the end of the day, a decision has to be made and the decision has to be one you are willing to live with, regardless of the outcome.

There is a process to making decisions:
1. Sort out your priorities - what is most important to you? What are you willing to live with? What will you NOT live with?
2. Make a preliminary decision and work out the logistics a bit. Think through the consequences you can figure out.
3. Ask your gut how it's feeling. Is it feeling relieved? Is there a nagging feeling?
4. Check with your major stakeholders on how they feel about the decision (your spouse, for example).
5. Commit to a decision.
6. Make it the right one by ensuring you've covered all your bases as much as possible.
7. Do NOT second guess yourself!
8. Do NOT let others second guess you!
9. Move forward with your decision efficiently and effectively.
10. Deal with the issues as they come up - and there will ALWAYS be issues that you had not considered or anticipated.